After obtaining his law degree in 1972, Attorney Tedford served for five years as a member of the United States Air Force Judge Advocate General Corps where he prosecuted and defended criminal cases pursuant to the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
After receiving an Honorable Discharge in 1977, Attorney Tedford joined the Hartford law firm of Danaher Lewis and Tamoney where he practiced Insurance Defense Litigation.
In 1981, Attorney Tedford joined four other attorneys in opening the Law Firm of Danaher O’Connell Attmore Tedford & Flaherty, which in 1986 became the Law Firm of Danaher Tedford Lagnese & Neal. From 1981 until 1994 he defended a major manufacturer of asbestos pipe covering in litigation nationwide. It was during this period that Attorney Tedford also acted as medical counsel, representing 17 of 21 defendants in the Connecticut asbestos litigation filed in the U.S. District Court District of Connecticut where he was responsible for defending his 17 clients with respect to all medical issues during settlement negotiations and at trial. Attorney Tedford also had the opportunity to litigate asbestos cases for his client in many jurisdictions throughout the United States on a pro hac vice basis.
In 1994, Attorney Tedford shifted his focus to the national representation of insurers, product manufacturers and service providers in claims and litigation involving personal injury, death or property damage resulting from fires or explosions. He most recently practiced fire litigation under the firm name of Tedford Litigation PLLC, prior to joining the firm of O’Connell, Attmore and Morris, LLC.
Attorney Tedford is a member of the International Association of Arson Investigators, the National Association of Fire Investigators and the National Fire Protection Association. He has lectured and taught on subjects related to fire science litigation for many years.
Attorney Tedford is rated by his peers, in the Martindale-Hubbell national directory of attorneys, as A (Legal ability – Very high to preeminent) V (General ethical standards – Very high) and has been designated in 2019 as a Connecticut Super Lawyer in Connecticut SuperLawyers® as a General Litigation Attorney. These designations are the result of a rigorous screening process that consists of peer evaluations, background and experience, and professional achievement. For details, go to SuperLawyers® and Martindale-Hubbell.
Attorney Tedford has been involved in the investigation and/or litigation of high value cases throughout the country, including cases involving:
- Litigated to verdict 6 civil arson cases
- Represented a manufacturer in a claim for the death of 8 employees and burn injuries to 32 others resulting from a dust explosion in a candy manufacturing facility in Mexico
- Defended a manufacturer in a claim for property damage resulting from a grain elevator fire
- Defended a fire suppression company in a major shipyard fire
- Defended a fire suppression company in a recycling facility fire
- Defended a fuel cap manufacturer in cases where lawn mower fires caused severe burn injuries and death to the operators of the mowers
- Defended of a product manufacturer where a fire in a manufactured home caused the death of an adult and two children
- Defended a foam insulation manufacturer where three welders were killed when foam insulation in the barge on which they were working caught fire
- Defended a major chemical manufacturer in lawsuits brought by burn victims
- Defended a foam insulation manufacturer in litigation resulting from a night club fire which resulted in burn injuries and death to many of those in the building
- Defended a manufacturer in a suit for personal injuries suffered by a plaintiff who jumped to the ground from a third-story window to avoid being burned in fire
- Represented a manufacturer in a suit for property damage and personal injury stemming from an explosion of chemical products in a warehouse fire
- Represented a tractor-trailer manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar product liability / fire claim for the destruction of a warehouse in Canada
- Represented a lighting company in a fire claim resulting from a fire in a refrigerated warehouse in Canada
- Defended a multimillion-dollar claim for fire damage to a nursing home
- Defended an insurer in fraud cases involving commercial as well as personal lines coverage
- Investigated and represented plaintiffs and defendants in dozens of fire claims resulting from house fires
- Defended boiler manufacturers in residential and commercial building fires
- Defended a motorcycle manufacturer in fires resulting in personal injury and property damage
- Defended manufacturers in gas explosions and fires in commercial buildings and homes resulting in property damage and death
- Defended a boiler manufacturer in a claim for wrongful death from carbon monoxide poisoning
- Defended a water heater thermostat manufacturer in a case involving the scalding of a baby
- Defended a major sporting goods manufacturer in a case involving a head injury from a ball struck by a metal bat
- Defended a swimming pool manufacturer in a diving board accident resulting in quadriplegia
- Defended a medical device manufacturer in fires resulting in death, personal injury and property damage
- Represented the plaintiff in a medical malpractice action against a doctor and hospital for the causation of his client’s cerebral palsy
- Defended a fire alarm company where four firefighters sued for wrongful death and personal injuries following the crash of their fire engine while responding to a false alarm